Troop combat vs Character/Creature combat

• Fergo113
  • Fergo113's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 weeks 3 hours ago #2111 by Fergo113
Fergo113 created the topic: Troop combat vs Character/Creature combat
Hi,

Technical question but one that has been bugging me. I've been re-reading through the Chaos Wars rules again in prep for running a game and it struck me that only troops (inf/cav) have a different method of combat compared to Characters, Creatures & War Machines. It occurs to me that a unified combat mechanic would make the rules clearer and easier to teach.

If troops used the same combat mechanic as creatures (ie role number of dice, each roll of 5+ is a hit, divide hits by armour = total kills) it would align with the combat method used by Characters / Creatures / War Machines. The number of dice rolled would depend on the numbers of troops left in the inf/cav unit (i.e. 12 initially but dropping as casualties result).

Is the troop combat mechanic a left over from the old version of Chaos Wars and hence is different from creature combat or was the desire to have two different combat methods in order to give Characters / Creatures / War Machines more punch on the battlefield?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 6 days ago #2113 by OFTP-Jacob-F
OFTP-Jacob-F replied the topic: Troop combat vs Character/Creature combat
Hi Fergo,

It's a good question, and you are correct, a unified mechanic would be simpler.

The original Chaos Wars rules did contain both mechanics.

The intention was that the creatures and characters fight on such a grander scale, that they would use a different mechanic.

When comparing the two mechanics, you see that the game has a interesting mix of 'guaranteed damage' and 'chance damage'.

Troops generally provide a guaranteed amount of damage (unless you roll a '1' against heavily armored targets), but the maximum amount of damage they inflict is usually rather limited. Generally inflicting a maximum of 2 against knights, 3 against yeomen (without various modifiers). So they don't do a ton of damage, but you can assume they will inflict some damage. This is important, as it forces a Morale Check.

Creatures/characters/war machines on the other hand provide what I'll call 'chance damage'. Needing a 5+ to hit, it's up to the luck of the dice every time. A Giant Hydra could inflict 15 points of damage in a single turn, or it could do nothing. So they can be devastating or worthless.

The key to a strong playstyle has proven to be utilizing the guaranteed damage to know you will do some minimum damage (force Morale Checks), and leverage the chance damage to maximize your advantage.

It does make for a fun game in my opinion, but does take a bit longer to learn, due to using two separate mechanics.

I and a couple of the Demo Team members have discussed how it would change the game, to use the creature/character mechanic on troops as well (we've talked about it several times). I keep going back and forth, personally, as I see how doing this would make things simpler, but I'm also hesitant to change the unique feel of the game, which I do enjoy.

I would love to hear other thoughts on this.

Sincerely,
Jacob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moonglum

• Fergo113
  • Fergo113's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 week 5 days ago #2114 by Fergo113
Fergo113 replied the topic: Troop combat vs Character/Creature combat
Thanks Jacob,

That helps a lot and make sense.

I noticed reading the rules again that troops would tend to almost always score hits against their enemies. You explanation of 'guaranteed damage' for troops vs 'chance damage' for characters/ creatures/ war engines is a very helpful one.

I'm in two minds about it as well. But I have yet to play a game so I can't really give an informed opinion right now. I'm busy painting my miniatures in eagerness to run a game and give Chaos Wars a try out.

Reading the rules again it strikes me that having the two combat systems would mix up the ranged/ melee outcomes and provide for an element of surprise. Which I really like. It removes the predictability from combat and can give you unexpected grief, such as the example you mention with the Giant Hydra. If that was MY Hydra, I would be having harsh words with her after the game! But it would also make for very memorable game moments. That's attractive when looking to play a new game. Fun unpredictable moments. Got to love 'em!

If the troop / character combat mechanic was identical it would likely make Chaos Wars similar in feel to others on the market (e.g. KoW, AoS). But I really like how Chaos Wars has the ability to grow characters and creatures to superhero like status, rather than having a set stat line for everything.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. It all makes a lot more sense now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moonglum

Moderators: MoonglumT-charrossrodman