Wizard with Staff DF-354

• Moonglum
  • Moonglum's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 1 month ago #1737 by Moonglum
Wizard with Staff DF-354 was created by Moonglum
Hi all,
just finished this one, which I hadn't finished a figure in quite a while. This is Dennis Mize piece from a while back, and I really like this wizard because he decided not to go the way of many of his brethren, with a big, billowy cloak and unshaved, long beard, rather he's trying to at least keep himself clean shaven and in some practical travel clothes!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarkPoet77

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #1738 by DarkPoet77
Replied by DarkPoet77 on topic Wizard with Staff DF-354
Very well done sir! Makes me wonder if a darker paint scheme would make him look as sinister as I suspect it could... hmm

• Moonglum
More
2 years 1 month ago #1739 by Moonglum
Replied by Moonglum on topic Wizard with Staff DF-354
Put him in blacks and reds and he'd look like somebody's evil grandpa...
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarkPoet77

More
2 years 1 month ago #1740 by ChicagoWiz
Replied by ChicagoWiz on topic Wizard with Staff DF-354
Very well done, I love your use of the highlights.

How long did this take you to do?

• Moonglum
More
2 years 1 month ago #1741 by Moonglum
Thanks ChicagoWiz, I really appreciate that! Timewise, it usually takes me somewhere overall a 10-12 hour time frame to paint and base a miniature. Sometimes a little longer, depending on the figure. This particular one I had sitting around and had painted the skin and eyes, and for some reason, just got left unfinished until I finally snapped and got him done.

More
2 years 1 month ago #1743 by ChicagoWiz
OK, I don't feel so bad, that's about what it takes me too, maybe a bit longer. I also leave 24 hours after last coat to gloss varnish, then another day for the varnish to cure for the matte varnish. I learned that from the Dallimore/Foundry book - something about the gloss varnish that really makes the colors stand out a bit more.

• Moonglum
More
2 years 1 month ago #1749 by Moonglum
Yeah, I didn't count the time that I wait for example after I'm done painting for the paint to dry, then put the sealant on. That would be another full twenty four hours. I've begun making sure to wait for a day because recently I've had problems, including with this figure, that it seems some of the paint rubs off as I seal. This time I noticed it on the red V-neck of his sweater and on his staff on the side. Don't really know why. I just take some paint and cover it back up, but there seems to on occasion be spots on figures that this happens to. I don't know if it's because they were poorly primed spots or not fully cured paint, but I had this problem too when I was painting goblins a while back.

More
2 years 1 month ago #1757 by ChicagoWiz
Ugh! That's such a soul-killer - put all that time into the painting and then something at the end like varnishing or basing ruins it.

I think I mentioned before the problem I had with Army Painter colored primer + Testors' Dulcote. Bubbling and cracking. Ever since, I rely on brush on varnish. I bought a bottle of gloss from the FLGS, but I think next time, I'll get the Liquidtex Gloss. I already use the Liquidtex Matte Varnish and it works great and is cheaper in the long run.

• Moonglum
More
1 year 6 months ago #2081 by Moonglum

ChicagoWiz wrote: Ugh! That's such a soul-killer - put all that time into the painting and then something at the end like varnishing or basing ruins it.

I think I mentioned before the problem I had with Army Painter colored primer + Testors' Dulcote. Bubbling and cracking. Ever since, I rely on brush on varnish. I bought a bottle of gloss from the FLGS, but I think next time, I'll get the Liquidtex Gloss. I already use the Liquidtex Matte Varnish and it works great and is cheaper in the long run.

I almost always use Vallejo matte finish. I don't how I missed this comment. I have started putting less water in my sealant, but still use some, and got a medium or better quality brush that I only use for sealing. I think that has solved the issue.

Moderators: MoonglumT-charrossrodman