KC-4125 and KC4136 Dwarf female cleric and Dwarf male thief

• Moonglum
  • Moonglum's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 months 1 week ago - 8 months 1 week ago #2137 by Moonglum
Hello all,
finished these two recently, from the really nice line of Hackmaster figures. The dwarf female cleric is a nice and unique one, sculpted by Bob Olley, in that she is actually a female dwarf with a beard, much like mentioned in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. The Dwarf thief is sculpted by Jim Johnson, both probably around 2003. For both of them, what took the most was deciding on colors. With a lady dwarf do you give her ladylike colors or do you go dark and dour? I decided on pinks and lavenders. With the thief, the hardest part was to choose the color on the edge of his leather jerkin. I was struggling between red and gold, but finally got inspired with purple.

Anyhows, hope you enjoy!
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Moonglum.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MisterFrauBlucher
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 months 1 week ago #2138 by MisterFrauBlucher
Replied by MisterFrauBlucher on topic KC-4125 and KC4136 Dwarf female cleric and Dwarf male thief
Nice brushwork! The purple trim is subtle, I like it.

I never liked beards on female dwarves, though! I remember back in '80 or so, a column by Gygax in a Dragon (maybe #38?) insisting that in Official AD&D (there were a lot of articles that he stressed the Official thing) female dwarves did have beards. I had read LOTR but couldn't remember the reference. I was not a fan. Still not, though your painting makes it as attractive as possible!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moonglum

• Moonglum
  • Moonglum's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 months 1 week ago #2139 by Moonglum
I remember there being a reference in Lord of the Rings, but don't know off hand where it would be. I do remember and actually saw it somewhere not too long ago, where there was a D&D module with black and white artwork I think by Jeff Dee where there was a female dwarf with a huge, full beard. I'm going to have to hunt that image down one of these days.

Moderators: MoonglumT-charrossrodman