White Metal Miniature Melting Point

• Mephisto
  • Mephisto's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 4 weeks ago #1642 by Mephisto
White Metal Miniature Melting Point was created by Mephisto
I'm back into mini painting after a few years break, and I've started to add display bases to some of my Ral Partha figs, using the small metal bases available in the store. I know it sounds crazy, but I soldered the first one on, and I'd like to continue doing this since it saves a bunch of time over pinning. It's tricky tho, since I know the melting point of white metal figures is pretty close to the solder I'm working with (63/37 tin/lead alloy)...You have to work fast so you don't overheat and melt the mini. Can anyone tell me the specific melting point for Ral Partha figs? I'm guessing there have been different alloys used over the years, but most of the minis I am painting are new from the store.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 weeks ago - 3 years 3 weeks ago #1659 by DarkPoet77
Replied by DarkPoet77 on topic White Metal Miniature Melting Point
Not sure I can give you the specific melting point, but I can ask for you. Interesting idea however!
Last edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by DarkPoet77.

• Mephisto
  • Mephisto's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 1 week ago #1730 by Mephisto
Replied by Mephisto on topic White Metal Miniature Melting Point
Here are some examples of my soldering experiments:

imgur.com/a/qPdBJ

I started with the Ral Partha metal bases, but owing to a delay in shipping some additional ones, I also found these round silver pendant trays on Amazon, which work equally as well.

The minis are (sadly) also not Ral Partha, but I was using figures I wasn't too concerned about losing in case of a soldering mishap;).

The silver trays need a bit more heat than the RP bases to get a good solder join.

Moderators: MoonglumT-charrossrodman