DF Series Minis

• Mephisto
  • Mephisto's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1692 by Mephisto
DF Series Minis was created by Mephisto
Hi All,

I've re-collected some of the minis I had 20+ years ago, but lost for some reason or another. I've also started to keep a log of the minis I've painted recently, and I'm trying to find out more information (like the sculptor) for this file. I have a general question about the "DF" series listed online in the store, and i'm wondering if it stands for anything (like part numbers with "FA" are from the Fantasy Adventurer series). Specific to my log file, I'm wondering about the DF-701 bard figure:

ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=7136

This was available 25+ years ago when I first started in the hobby, but I can't find it anywhere else online (like at the lost minis wiki), so I have a feeling the part number has changed since it was originally released.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1693 by DarkPoet77
Replied by DarkPoet77 on topic DF Series Minis
I'd highly recommend you email Jacob. That is right up his alley.

• Mephisto
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1694 by Mephisto
Replied by Mephisto on topic DF Series Minis
Alright, thanks, I'll do that:).
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarkPoet77

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1710 by Moonglum
Replied by Moonglum on topic DF Series Minis
Yeah, Jacob seems to have lots of answers on these. You can also meander in old catalogues that you can find in the catalogue section of the downloads.

• Mephisto
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1711 by Mephisto
I went through the paper copies I have of the 86 and 94 catalogs, and looked at some other ones online, but couldn't find an image of this particular mini. Very mysterious! I can't exactly remember ordering it, but I know I had it in the early 90s...Maybe it was mis-shipped for another bard figure I was interested in? Anyway, I lost several of my favorite minis when I left them at a friend's house about 20 years ago (and subsequently never saw him again), so I was glad to be able to replace most if not all of them, including this bard figure.

I really love that Avatar of the Ki-Rin mini...I have that one, but never finished painting it, so I'm going to use your example as an inspiration for the colors to use! Did you paint the one displayed in the online store?

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1712 by Moonglum
Yup, painted that one and a bunch of other figures out there! Glad the color choices inspired you! I tried to base them off the old AD&D Monster Manual description, don't know how well I succeeded:

"The coat of the ki-rin is luminous gold, much as a sunrise on a clear day. The mane and tail are darker gold. Its horn and hooves are golden pink. Its eyes are violet"

Attachments:

More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #1717 by DarkPoet77
@Mephisto, I know the DF stands for something, but for the life of me I can't recall what.
Last edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by DarkPoet77.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1720 by Moonglum
I think it's just Direct Fantasy, as the numbers were changed when it went into their direct mail order catalogue. DH is Direct History.

• Mephisto
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1721 by Mephisto

Moonglum wrote: I think it's just Direct Fantasy, as the numbers were changed when it went into their direct mail order catalogue. DH is Direct History.

Yes, you are correct. I contacted Jacob as Dark Poet suggested, and he confirmed that DF stands for Direct Fantasy.

I went through all the catalogs available online and the few paper copies that I still have, and I couldn't find a picture of DF-701...However, I know I had it in the early 90s, so it had a different part number then. I just haven't been able to find out what it was. Has anyone seen this mini in a catalog?

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #1723 by DarkPoet77
Did you ask Jacob about this too? He has been cataloging the Ral Partha miniatures and the companies history for many years. I'm almost certain he would know this info and likely have the image you are looking for too.

• Mephisto
More
3 years 1 week ago #1726 by Mephisto

DarkPoet77 wrote: Did you ask Jacob about this too? He has been cataloging the Ral Partha miniatures and the companies history for many years. I'm almost certain he would know this info and likely have the image you are looking for too.

Yes, he's going to do some research and let me know if he finds something...I probably overlooked it in one of the catalogs, and he'll likely tell me what page it's on:).

Moderators: MoonglumT-charrossrodman